Friday 13 February 2015

In memoriam: Neil Connelly.

On 31st January of this year my brother in law Neil passed away. His loss is a tragedy from which my family may never fully recover.

Neil was a man who believed in the power of words for good or evil, and would always correct my grammar or argue with me over semantics. His vovabulary was such that I often had to reach for the dictionary! He could speak so eloquently he would run rings around most in any debate, or captivate an audience at any dinner table. As such, I thought putting something into words would be the most fitting tribute to him. This poem is for Neil. I loved him like a brother, and I will miss him dearly evermore.


IN MEMORIAM NEIL CONNELLY.

He was the enigma with a thousand faces,
He bore a stigma that time erases.
Sit and talk, listen and walk
With this sage among men, and he could take you to places
You never knew were there.

He was a husband and father,
Devoted beyond compare,
He blessed his kids with
His own brand of
Compassionate intelligence,
Wisdom that betrays their years.
He raised them with
His own hand, and
With his presence
He allayed their fears,
Wiped away their tears.
He would sing rhymes of nonsense
To fill his home with the
Laughter of love.
Now they have lost it all.

He was a brother,
A young grandad,
A son and an uncle,
And now we have lost it all.

And until the end
He was my brother
And my friend
And now I have lost him.








No comments:

Post a Comment