Saturday 13 November 2010

Travel Haikus 1

The mountain conquered,
We descend through snowy woods,
Back to the wild world.

It´s rare in the West,
For time to be your best friend
Not an enemy.

No news today,
No morbid stories to bore me.
I feel much better.

Why do I travel?
To be happy and content,
And not ask questions.

With her at my side,
There is no road or mountain
We cannot conquer.

Daily objectives,
See the new, write, be amazed,
Are what we live by.

Sizzling asado,
Share the meat, pass round the wine,
True purpose of food!

On the road, recall
What we all take for granted:
Comfort of England!

In Argentina,
A dog rode atop a car!
It was not a dream.

New collectives form
Every day, no nucleus,
They soon will decay.

Where we will be in
A week is a mystery.
Unknown joy and fear.

I don´t know the names,
In English, at any rate,
Of creatures we see.

Naturaleza,
Fuerte y poderosa,
Mas que la gente.

She looks so serene,
Lying in ways I can not.
Asleep on the bus.

Where are the people?
Emptiness, bleak and humbling.
Patagonia.

The West would be best,
If we had a spare planet.
We will invade space.

I try to ignore this:
Ultimately in our world,
Numbers outweigh words.

With a gurgling growl,
The whale cuts through the water.
Magnificent beast.

Odd-looking dancer,
colour, your gift to this land.
Desert flamingo.

No comments:

Post a Comment